Monday, July 25, 2011

High Fiber and Protein Bean and Corn Salad

One of my favorite parts of hot weather is salsa! This was originally a salsa mix but it is so filling and high in fiber and protein that I eat it as a salad. I love this because it is so flavorful and since it is pack with protein and fiber this meal leaves you feeling full.

Ingredients:
16oz Black beans (one can)
16oz Yellow Corn (one can)
1.5 cups edamame
Cilantro
2cups Grape tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic
Salt
Balsamic Vinaigrette

Rinse the black beans and corn thoroughly. If you have bought canned beans or canned corn, try going for the lowest sodium. Combine in a medium sized mixing bowl. Place frozen edamame in a bowl filled with enough water to slightly cover the edamame, and cook on high for 6 minutes in the microwave (I usually buy 2-3 bags of frozen edamame to stash in my freezer because its a good fiber and protein that is easy to cook). Once edamame is cooked rinse under cold water until the beans are completely cooled. Combine with beans and corn. Half all of the grape tomatoes and combine. I love cilantro and think that adding it to any salad or salsa is a must. Finely chop about 1/4 cup (or more) of cilantro and combine. Depending on how "garlicy" you like your food, add 2-3 minced cloves. I do not have exact measurements for salt or the balsamic but I add just enough salt to bring out the flavoring and just enough dressing to wear it does not over power the dish. Mix, and serve!

**I usually chop 1/2 of a red onion, but my housemates and fiance do not like onions. It brings out the flavors and is delicious!



Enjoy! Let me know what you think :).

-Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment